Since its creation in 1990, the Talloires Declaration has played a major role in raising awareness in the U.S. and around the world about the relevance of sustainability to higher education. The declaration’s 10-point action plan is intentionally broad, covering the major areas of university activity: teaching, research, operations, outreach and service. The Declaration is designed to be interpreted and shaped for each individual institution.
The institutional benefits of signing the Talloires Declaration include the following five:
1) The Declaration is an historic document that over 500 university and college presidents worldwide have signed.
2) Signing the Declaration joins your institution with an international network of colleges and universities committed to a sustainable future.
3) The Declaration can provide inspiration and motivation to pursue environmental and sustainability initiatives on campus.
4) The Declaration provides a comprehensive framework for shaping steady progress toward sustainability.
5) Signing the Declaration constitutes a commitment to which the institution can be held accountable over time.